Sunday, March 8, 2009

Switching to Clippless

After over 4 month of riding platform pedals with either a big winter snow boots or hiking boots, the weather has final warmed up to the point where I can comfortably ride in cycling shoes again.

What a difference it makes to be able to clip into my pedals again. At first the float in the pedals felt really awkward, but it didn't take long for me to get used to it again. And let me tell you it is a welcome change.

So you may ask, if it is so nice riding in clipless pedals why don't you ride them all winter; afterall they do make winter cycling shoes. For years I tried riding in the Lake winter boots but this fall I decided I had enough. For me, these boots never fit my feet and never really kept my feet warm. I was able to ride in them in temps down to about 20 degrees before my feet got cold.

I think decades years of playing hockey in freezing temps has damaged the circualtion feet, so my feet really get cold easily. In the past when I rode in temps about 10 below and I could never keep my feet warm. Since switching to real winter snow boots, I have rode down to 20 below and actually stayed pretty warm. It is been amazing how much easier it has been to ride with warm feet. Mentally, I have a lot more confidence going out in the cold and it is a lot of fun to stick my foot out moto style around the corners. I recommend everyone try riding in platforms for a little while.


Now playing: Screeching Weasel - My Brain Hurts
via FoxyTunes

1 comment:

JMo said...

Suspect you're right about the circulation. If you have poor circulation in your feet you'll hardly be able to stand cold temps in normal cycling gear.

On the other hand, if you're like me you ride most of the winter with only toe-warmers and run the full bootie only when it gets really cold.

Xs n Os Horky